About The Haverhill Historical Society
By John F. Page - President
The Haverhill Historical Society is an all-volunteer organization of 250-plus members which was established in 1965 with a mission to collect, preserve and utilize for educational purposes materials which document and illustrate the history of the town (granted in 1763) and surrounding area.
Housed for most of its existence in the town library, the Society now maintains a modest history museum and reference library (open May-October) in temporary quarters at 58 Court Street, Haverhill Corner. It sponsors an active seasonal schedule of lectures and tours, and a fourth-grade school program conducted in the Ladd Street School (1849), a one-room schoolhouse which the Society has owned since 1980 and restored.
The Societys collections consist of a wide array of locally-made or used artifacts including an important group of portraits, furniture and other decorative arts objects, family and business papers, photographs, historical memorabilia and tools. The collection has grown steadily in recent years; the Society actively seeks further additions of appropriate materials by gift or purchase.
Looking beyond its present temporary quarters at 58 Court Street, the Society has exciting plans for acquiring and renovating Pearson Hall, an 1816 former academy and county court building located on the town common in the heart of the Haverhill Corner National Register Historic District.
A grant-supported planning process carried out in 2002 determined the feasibility of converting this venerated historic structure to an outstanding regional history museum and archive. Haverhill Heritage, Inc., the buildings present owner, has agreed to partner with the Society in the work of refurbishing the building for the Societys activities, following which title will be given to the Society in return for its agreement to maintain the building in perpetuity.
A Pearson Hall Fund, established in 2003 with a current balance of over $50,000 and growing, is evidence of strong local support for this undertaking. Additional gifts and grants are being sought from public and private sources.
John Page, President
Edith Celley, Vice President
Lois Henson, Secretary
Lawrence Sedgwick, Treasurer
Directors: Shirley Cobb, Carol Coon, Philip Jurin, John Koch, Marilyn Seminario, Thomas Stocker.
The Haverhill Historical Society (mail address: P.O. Box 52, Haverhill, New Hampshire03765). The Societys museum and library is open on a seasonal schedule and by appointment during the summer and fall; call John Page at (603) 989-5978 or Lois Henson at (603) 787-6354. Limited research assistance by mail is also offered.
The Society actively seeks new members. Membership categories and annual dues are as follows: Individual $10; Family $15; Sustaining $50; Life $250.